Friday, November 30, 2012

My fedora java 7 update

Today I've migrated to java 7 (Oracle version), as our development environment has been "java 7 enabled".

The transition was "rather" smooth, I just had to follow following description: http://fedorasolved.org/Members/zcat/using-sun-java-instead-of-openjdk

When I mentioned "rather", it was not due to description present on the mentioned site :). After I rebooted I could not login to my xfce (or gnome,...), login screen was shown again even after correct password input.

The problem was caused by my laziness. I didn't really read what I copy/pasted :)

After switching to text mode (Ctrl+Alt+F<X>) I've observed some EOF reported problem right after login. And my bash didn't behave :) I had to provide full path when invoking commands.

When thinking of what I've changed, file: /etc/profile.d/sunjava.sh started to be suspicious, after opening it via:
/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/vi /etc/profile.d/sunjava.sh
(yes, path didn't work for me somehow :)

my suspect changed to culprit when seeing the content:
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/default
export PATH=\$JAVA_HOME/bin:\$PATH
EOF
after fixing it to:
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/default
export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
and doing the reboot afterwards, via:
/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/reboot
all started to work as expected.

So it seems trivial things might become challenges in my hands :)
Now I see why I became a programmer rather than a doctor :)

No comments: